Using VOX (voice-activated) mode on Android
VOX mode allows you to activate Zello with your voice in order to trigger a transmission. This feature allows you to use Zello hands-free.
Users must have Zello version 3.106 or newer to use this feature. VOX is also available on our PC app: Using VOX mode on a PC
To turn on VOX mode:
- Tap open the Zello app menu (3 vertical dots)
- Select Options
- Select Push-to-talk buttons
- Select VOX Button
- Turn on Show button on the talk screen
- Return to the talk screen and tap on the voice transmission icon at bottom to turn VOX on. The button will turn blue. You can toggle this button to go between push-to-talk mode and VOX mode.
Important: To avoid unintended transmissions, VOX automatically suspends when the screen is turned off or the user navigates away from the talk screen.
You can fine-tune the noise level so that transmissions are correctly sent while in VOX mode.
To fine-tune, you can adjust the following from the VOX settings screen:
- Activation sensitivity: Allows you to set the sensitivity level (Low, Moderate, High, Extreme) to activate transmissions. Low would allow faint noises to trigger a transmission, while Extreme would only allow very loud noises to trigger a transmission.
- Tailor activation to the human voice: Allows you to set the sensitivity level (Low, Moderate, High, Extreme) to activate an algorithm that filters out other noises (a mouse click, wind, etc) from the human voice.
- Activation time (ms): Allows you to set the amount of time that must elapse in order for VOX to begin sending a message.
- Deactivation time (ms): Allows you to set the amount of time that must elapse at the end of a message to end VOX.
Questions? Submit a new ticket for support-related inquiries.